About the Club
The Venus de Miles Bike Club kicked off in Spring 2009 and celebrates its 10th anniversary season in 2018. This recreational, non-competitive, no-drop cycling club is about sisterhood, supporting each other as we grow emotionally and physically into strong, beautiful women. It's about having fun, feeling joy, and achieving more. It's about becoming stronger, more confident, road-aware cyclists and just feeling better on your bike. We also support each other with encouragement and tips on cycling. This is a truly special bike club!
If you've ever thought: “I'm not sure I'd fit”, “I joined before but never made it to a ride”, or “What if my gear isn't good enough?”...take that first step and come on a ride with us! We promise you will not regret participating in any ride or social event with this group! Whether you’re new to cycling, want to improve your cycling skills, are trying to get in better shape, or just want to ride with a group of great women, this club is for you!
Got a question about the club? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Group Rides and More
There is so much happening as we get ready to kick off our 10th season!
Each year, we have about 200 members of all levels and abilities riding, learning, and having fun! We have a dedicated committee of volunteers who help keep the club rolling and are ready to support you. Our sponsor, Full Cycle, offers a variety of co-ed clinics and will assist you with any cycling questions or needs you may have.
Our weekend group rides are designed for the beginner to intermediate rider. (Those looking for an advanced ride group may want to look into the Outdoor Divas.) The Venus Bike Club rides are recreational, non-competitive, no-drop, and open to all members. Non-members may ride with us once to give the club a try.
Group rides start in early April, alternate Saturdays and Sundays, and start at 10 am at the beginning of the season. As the season progresses, so does the mileage. Start times also stagger, so those on the longer rides can get an earlier start on hot days. We break into groups of 12 to 15 women of matching abilities and speeds to ride together. We may have up to 7 or 8 groups going out on any given weekend.
Ride routes are designed according to a training plan to build endurance for 33, 67, and 100 mile events, such as the Venus de Miles in late August, the Buff Classic in September, and Tour of the Moon in late September. The routes are created with scenery, safety, and variety in mind.
- Short route: Early season, 12-15 miles at a 10-12 mph average pace. Over the season, mileage gradually increases to 35 miles and may split into casual (12 mph) and medium-paced (13-14 mph) groups.
- Medium route: Early season, 20-30 miles. Over the season, this route increases to about 60 miles and splits into two or three pace groups at 11-12 mph, 13-14 mph, and 15 mph+ average paces.
- Long route: Early season, 30-40 miles with two groups at a medium pace (13-14 mph) and faster pace (15+ mph). Over the season this route increases to about 75 miles.
We offer several destination weekends each year. For 2018, we’re heading to:
- Bike paths around Frisco and Glenwood Springs
- Rough Riders 200 in Angel Fire NM
- Tour of the Moon in Grand Junction
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter, follow us on Facebook, and check our club calendar so you don’t miss out!
Clinics and More
One of the great benefits of a Venus Bike Club membership is access to amazing clinics.
Clinics for all riding abilities, from beginner to intermediate riding skills are planned throughout the season. Most of our clinics are women only and free to paid club members. A few clinics, facilitated by professional coaches, may be offered for a small discounted fee.
From fix-a-flat sessions to learning about nutrition and hydration, you’ll want to maximize your membership and take advantage of our upcoming clinics. BONUS: Watch out for events such as ‘How to Layer’, which will be paired with special discounts on apparel!
Venus Bike Club 2018 Membership
- Small or no fee for any club clinics or coached training rides
- 10% off any regularly priced items and service (except bikes) at all times for member and immediate family.
- An Extra 5% off on sale priced items at Full Cycle – except for bikes
- 20% off bike fits
- Members can ride in ALL Club rides
- Access to special sales/group discounts with vendors throughout the year
- Invitation to special sales/group discounts with local partners
- A portion of the membership fee goes to support to Greenhouse Scholars, a local non-profit
- Discount on registration for the VdM rides in Boulder and Chicago
- Get a free pair of cycling gloves up to $25 in value when a new friend you refer joins the club (friend must be a new member)
- One free drink for leads & sweeps on day of club ride
- Venus members receive 1/2 off one drink on day of weekend ride
- Private Venus Club shopping night for club members—opportunity to purchase discounted bikes: Wed., April 11th 7:00-8:30 pm
* All benefits are subject to change at any time throughout the year.
Membership Annual Fee: $65 (what do fees pay for?) - A spouse of a club member may join either club for $15 off the normal annual fee.
How to Join
Three easy ways to sign up:
- Call the shop and ask to join the Venus de Miles Club and you can pay over the phone with your credit card. 303-440-1002.
- Stop in Full Cycle: 1795 Pearl St in Boulder
- Click here to Join Online
This season we have a great opportunity as LIV Ambassador Shelley Hartman will lead some of our club clinics! Shelley is also available to answer any technical questions you may have about bikes, including bike maintenance, and cycling techniques.