Riding with the Venus Bike Club
We love to have a great time on our bikes and support each other, but the club just wouldn’t be the same if safety wasn’t our #1 concern.
Venus Club rides are conducted on open roads with vehicular traffic. Roads include both marked and unmarked hazards. Though we go to great lengths to make the ride as safe as possible, always remember that safety is in your own hands. Ride by these rules:
- Wear a helmet at all times – NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Ride single file. Maximum of two abreast when conditions allow. Never ride more than two abreast and do not impede traffic.
- Ride as far right as reasonable. Stay to the right of the white line whenever possible.
- On the road cyclists are vehicles, and all rules of the road apply: stop at lights and stop signs, follow speed limits, obey road closures, etc.
- Pass only on the left; announce “passing,” or “on your left.”
- Use hand signals to indicate road hazards, stopping, slowing, right and left turns.
- Respect others – riders, volunteers, law enforcement, and the environment.
- Smooth bike handling – ride predictably with no sudden stopping or turning unless absolutely necessary.
- No headphones at all. No cell phones while riding. If you need to take/make a call, pull over and stop BEFORE taking out your phone.
- Riding safely and considerately is vital to your enjoyment and the safety of other riders.
- No drop – our rides are “no drop”, meaning that we won’t leave anyone behind. That said, please select a group that is riding at a distance and pace you are comfortable with. Since we are a no-drop, a single rider who has selected the wrong group to ride with will slow down the entire group. When in doubt, go with a shorter/slower ride, and move up the faster/longer one next time.
- If you have a mechanical issue that can’t repaired on the road, have a contact who can come pick you up if needed.
- Carry: ID and relevant medical information, extra tube or 2, CO2/pump, water, food/energy, layers for changing weather, phone.
- Be prepared to leave on time.